Thursday, September 1, 2011

Tutoring Pimps

September 1, 2011
Today's Quote:

Falling is the first step to learning how to fly. ~ Jodi Picoult

And just for fun, an inspired Hinky Pinky:

What do you call a movie that is all about an educator? A Teacher Feature

FYI - A Hink Pink is a rhyming word game involving riddles. If the answer to the riddle has 2 one-syllable rhyming words, it is a Hink Pink; a Hinky Pinky is an answer with 2 two-syllable rhyming words; and, a Hinkety Pinkety is an answer to a riddle with 2 three-syllable rhyming words.
~~~~~~

I was inspired to create that riddle above after I applied online for WyzAnt tutoring, teaching and coaching site. Hink Pinks, etc. were always a big hit in the classroom for students of all ages, or at least through the 6th grade. I really like to play word games with students as a way to increase vocabulary, promote problem solving, and just have fun. Students get excited about creating their own riddles.

WyzAnt says that they supply the tutoring students and take a percentage of your earnings as a finders fee, you know, like a pimp. I just went to get the web address and it came up with a long thread of posts bad and good. So now, I'm not sure if this is going to be a good idea or not, but I did do the online application and took one test in my best subject, spelling, which I easily passed. Maybe someone out there has had an experience with this company and can give me a heads up, or maybe you just want to check it out:  http://www.wyzant.com/. I hope it is not a scam. But if it is, and you need a tutor in the Rancho Cucamonga area, you can contact me directly through this blog and we can skip the WyzAnt site completely. I earned an elementary teaching credential in 3 states but I landed in California at the height of teacher lay-offs.

The reason I even got to WyzAnt was because I decided to do my job search at all of the cities within a 10 mile radius of my home. One of the cities led me to a Tutor Wanted post via simplyhired.com. I went through the list and interestingly, there was a list of 12 cities and 1 community. It sure seems like a lot of political divisions in such a small radius. If you are interested in the list, here it is:
     Rancho Cucamonga
     Alta Loma
     Cucamonga
     Upland
     Guasti
     Etiwanda
     Ontario
     Montclair
     Claremont
     Chino
     Fontana
     La Verne
     Pomona

Etiwanda is the place designated as a community. Guasti shows a population of 3. Upland and Claremont have no current openings and Fontana, Montclair, and Chino only have part-time openings. I take that back, some of the cities are looking for a "Lateral Police Officer."Since that is not my field, I did not really check those positions out.

Even though I do not have a library science degree, I am interested in applying at the local libraries next because I LOVE books, learning, research, compiling information, and writing.

No Pimp Needed.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment