Thursday, September 8, 2011

County Logic

Today's Quote:
I'm so broke
I can't even pay attention.

In a previous blog, I mentioned how stress over lack of finances (among other things) caused a reaction that mimicked a heart attack. Because I have not worked for a long while and have no health insurance, I was taken to the Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, the San Bernardino County health facility. After being reassured that my heart is fine, I was prescribed several medications. The way my meds were distributed at ARMC reminds me of the discrepancy between the number of hot dogs in a package versus the number of hot dog buns in a package. While you get 10 hot dogs, you only get 8 hot dog buns. So what happens if everyone who wants a hot dog also wants a bun? The stop gap measure would be to substitute a piece of bread for a bun, unless of course someone is willing to run and buy another package of buns.

My major medical concern is with the cholesterol lowering medicine that was prescribed for me. The hospital sent me home with a 30 day supply of Simvastatin. I don't mind taking this to help lower my cholesterol the 20 to 50 points needed to be in a healthier range, but I don't really want to take it forever. At a total cholesterol level of 201, do I really even need it? I was told the medicine does not even become effective for 4-6 weeks. I may be able lower my cholesterol myself through diet and exercise! The thing that disturbs me the most is that I have started taking the medication and I have applied for the hospital's MIA program to pay for the pills. However, it takes 45 business days to be approved or denied for the MIA program. I am sure I qualify because of my low income, but what is the stop gap measure for the period between finishing the hospital's 30 day supply and the 20 or so more days without meds before the program approval? Wouldn't it make more sense to supply enough medication for the endurance of time between hospital visit and health program approval? I guess I just don't understand county logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment