Thursday, September 15, 2011

More about WyzAnt

Today's Quote:

Reality is the leading cause of STRESS.

Recently I discovered the tutoring website WyzAnt.com. I called them tutoring pimps in an earlier blog because they find people who need extra help and match them up with qualified tutors. The company initially keeps 40% of the rate charged but tutors can increase their percentage as they log in more hours. I signed up to be a tutor and they accepted me right away. I think that it will be worth the charge to not have to figure out how to find tutees on my own.

At first I was intimidated because I have been teaching elementary age students and the bulk of requests were for high schoolers in higher math and physics, or for high schoolers looking for someone to help them prepare for their SATs and other college entrance exams. I did not realize there was such a demand for that type of tutoring and think I will look into refreshing my knowledge.

Within a week, requests for tutors for elementary and middle school students began popping up. Parents wanting their child to stay ahead of the curve or wanting extra help for subjects that students are already struggling with now, at the beginning of the school year, are smart to get help with the fundamental knowledge that the rest of the term will build upon.

I am ready, willing, and able to help any elementary or middle school students who are within a 10-15 mile radius of Rancho Cucamonga but so far, what is holding me back is the fact that the parents or grandparents need to set up financial arrangements with WyzAnt first, because the tutors get paid through the service, not by the individuals requesting the service. If you are one of those parents and you are hesitating because of the hourly rate, recognize that the rate is negotiable. I already had to rethink the rate for a woman who asked about group sessions, and am now just hoping that she will agree to the change. I like to teach, I'm excited about this opportunity, and I need the money. I will keep you posted about how the first job goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment